When using Enhanced Search for Jira Cloud, it's worth establishing some good practices from the outset.
- Ensure JQL keywords are synced. It can appear to users that their JQL queries don't work, when in actual fact they just haven't been synced.
- As there are timeout limitations in the cloud, you should endeavour to reduce the complexity of queries and make them as small as possible to avoid these.
- Use the insert function dialog where possible to build queries as this helps get the correct syntax.
- For ScriptRunner queries copied from online posts, caution is advised as these may be related to ScriptRunner for server. Many of these have a different syntax and may show up as an invalid query.
- Ensure filters are synced when powering dashboards, or Agile boards, so that issues returned by a JQL query are up to date. You can toggle the filter sync filter by editing a filter.
- Avoid tweaking permissions for the Add On User as this can result in many functions not working as expected. This is particularly the case in relation to restricting permissions.
- Use IDs rather than names in ES functions, where possible.
- You are strongly advised to understand the differences in functions between server and cloud and refer to the documentation. Many features differ, and some functions/ keywords will exist but have a different name.